Monday, 20 February 2012

Dinosaurs and tea sets and bats! Oh my: Utilitaire-12 #6

Utilitaire-12 task #6: bike to a museum = ROM!

I had already planned to visit the ROM on Saturday before I heard about the Utilitaire-12 challenge. I hadn't planned to bike there, because I don't plan to bike, just as many people don't plan to drive. They do it as a matter of course. However, if the weather proved to be inclement, I would have TTC'd it without a second thought. The Utilitaire-12 made me resolve to bike come hell or high water. Given the winter we've been having, both of those seemed more likely than what we did get.
snowy day

The last time it snowed, about a month ago, the Opus showed that she's not really meant for snow. I should say, her tires aren't. The drum brakes and internal hub are fabulous in the snow, the saving grace when her tires couldn't get traction or slipped over a frozen rut: I could stop immediately and put my foot down to avoid keeling over. However, you can see that this kind of snow was the kind that melts almost as soon as you compress it, so I knew that the main streets would be wet but fairly clear for riding on. The bike lanes would be unusable, naturally, but Saturday morning the traffic should be light enough on Harbord that I could ride in the car lane without being squeezed.

And so it was. Here is my view upon turning onto Harbord.
uncleared biking lanes
I briefly thought about calling 311 to ask for the bike lanes to be cleared, but the weather report promised rain in the afternoon so there didn't seem much point. I passed too many businesses and homeowners shoveling snow straight into the street and bike lanes, which really ticks me off since it makes the space bikes can safely ride in much narrower.

I had planned to bike up Philosopher's Walk through U of T because it's very pretty even when all brown and grey, but I was worried it wouldn't have been cleared yet, so I turned up a side street which turned out to have been much less used. There was enough snow on the road to make it a bit slippery, and there was a slight rise. The Opus was a trooper, though, and made it to Bloor without incident.
parked at the ROM
Bloor needs more bike parking. I'm lucky that it wasn't busy and that the few rings weren't full. Perhaps there is more bike parking on the Queen's Park side, but in general, Bloor east of Spadina needs. more. bike parking.

Actually, let's just take it as said that most places need more bike parking and move on.

I met up with I* and we went inside to get our tickets. I can get a teacher's discount, which turns out to be 50¢ more expensive than waiting in line, which is not exactly what I imagined when I thought "discount."** We thought that getting to the museum right when it opened would save us from lining up. Apparently quite a few people felt that way. I nearly thought I should have sprung for the extra half-dollar when I saw the line, but they had a lot of cashiers open and the line moved briskly.

Once inside, we got to enjoy the new Crystal addition. I'm going to go on record as saying I'm really disappointed with the inside of the Crystal. The outside is quite interesting, but the inside looks like unfinished drywall. There are some nice lighting effects from the splintered windows, but the angles are awkward, and the walls are getting grubby. It's too stark, especially when contrasted with the mellow brick and elegant finishings of the old building. I think if the material had been at least translucent, it would have been better.

The content makes up for it, though. First up, dinosaurs. Naturally.
meme dinosaur
Why do they pose the dinosaurs with their mouths open? It makes me want to insert speech bubbles. Especially that one.

We also saw beautifully constructed swords and armor, art deco furnishings, tea sets, carved rocks from ancient civilizations, and Nature in Crisis. And the Bat Cave. So excellent, the Bat Cave.
dr seuss dinosaur
Also Dr. Seuss characters.

After several hours, we were museumed out and went for lunch/dinner. The promised rain never arrived, and I went home via Philosopher's Walk after all.
ROM crystal

You can see the rest of the ROM pictures starting here: (click on the title to go to the album)
From Rambling Through Toronto
Mileage: From my apartment to Bloor & Avenue and back = 8.4 km/5.2 miles.

*That's it. I'm going to have to start calling him the Dapper Cyclist or something.

**To be fair, that's $1.50 cheaper than the regular online price. And special exhibitions are much less expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now with less captcha! Speak pretty to me. I love comments, especially constructive criticism.