Utilitaire-12 task #11: Bike to any store that is not a grocery store = Pet Valu
The weather has been its usual weird March self. We had an extreme cold alert on Monday, then by today the temperature had gone up 20 degrees to 16! People were out on patios. Tomorrow it will go back down to "normal" March temperatures, with the possibility of snow on Friday. But today was glorious -- I got to cycle in a light jacket and a pair of shoes. Shoes, not boots! So freeing for the feet.
The wind was completely unnecessary. I'm tired of the wind. Literally.
I had to get all manner of cat food and litter, so I took myself to the local Pet Valu after work. The sun had set by the time I left, and there were more ninja cyclists out due to the warmth. I passed a guy decked out in reflectors from head to toe, but no lights. Nice try, but no cigar. Guess what, dude? I still couldn't see you because reflectors are designed to shine light straight back (e.g. headlights), and ambient street light won't cut it. Become a luminous object!
I was extremely surprised to see how much the cat food cost; I am certain the price jumped by $10 for the bag of kibble, but the cashiers seemed to think it was the same price as always. I'm going to have to check it against past receipts. So expensive, this eating habit my kitty has.
Fortunately the wind was at my back on the way home. Hauling bags of cat litter and food is the main reason I had the wide front basket installed on the Opus. The heavy front load does make the steering a little unwieldy at first, but I always get used to it. Besides, it frees up the back rack for things like big bags of potting soil, as in this picture from last summer:
Total mileage: From my apartment to Dufferin & Dupont and back = 4.6 km/2.8 miles
The weather has been its usual weird March self. We had an extreme cold alert on Monday, then by today the temperature had gone up 20 degrees to 16! People were out on patios. Tomorrow it will go back down to "normal" March temperatures, with the possibility of snow on Friday. But today was glorious -- I got to cycle in a light jacket and a pair of shoes. Shoes, not boots! So freeing for the feet.
The wind was completely unnecessary. I'm tired of the wind. Literally.
I had to get all manner of cat food and litter, so I took myself to the local Pet Valu after work. The sun had set by the time I left, and there were more ninja cyclists out due to the warmth. I passed a guy decked out in reflectors from head to toe, but no lights. Nice try, but no cigar. Guess what, dude? I still couldn't see you because reflectors are designed to shine light straight back (e.g. headlights), and ambient street light won't cut it. Become a luminous object!
I was extremely surprised to see how much the cat food cost; I am certain the price jumped by $10 for the bag of kibble, but the cashiers seemed to think it was the same price as always. I'm going to have to check it against past receipts. So expensive, this eating habit my kitty has.
Fortunately the wind was at my back on the way home. Hauling bags of cat litter and food is the main reason I had the wide front basket installed on the Opus. The heavy front load does make the steering a little unwieldy at first, but I always get used to it. Besides, it frees up the back rack for things like big bags of potting soil, as in this picture from last summer:
Total mileage: From my apartment to Dufferin & Dupont and back = 4.6 km/2.8 miles



No comments:
Post a Comment
Now with less captcha! Speak pretty to me. I love comments, especially constructive criticism.